5/16/10

Lola d Menageries

I asked Jami of Lola D Menageries to answer a few questions about her work.   She's a smart, funny, outgoing lady who brings a fresh new perspective to jewelry design.

 Q:   How do you come up with your design ideas?

A:  I usually sit and play with wire.  I am not a sit-down- and-draw everything out type of person.  Instead I typically sit at my junky, messy craft table and start pulling bits together.  I may have a color in mind, but a particular design just pops out from what I see in the raucous on my table.  I usually can't make the same thing twice.  A piece usually takes anywhere from 2-12 hours.  On occasion more!

 
Q:  You are an artist in many different genres.  What is your favorite medium or your current obsession artistically?

A: I have three main artistic/creative obsessions- making jewelry, photography, and writing (the order rotates depending on the month).  I like most when I can combine them all.  I always take the photos of my own jewelry.  Sometimes I will write a poem to go with the piece as well.  Combo art :)

 
Q:  What was the very first thing you ever remember making by hand?

AJewelry wise it was a simple daisy chain necklace--the first piece of jewelry I ever learned to make.  I've been hooked ever since.  The first wire piece I ever made was a bangle with large-holed glass beads and 16 gauge copper wire.

 
Q:  Of all the things you've made so far, is there one piece that you consider to be your "masterpiece?"  If so, describe it for us.

A: A masterpiece--the first poly clay face and wire bracelet/cuff I made.  I tried it for a competition over in Jewelrygeeks (Metalchasers at the time).  Here's a pic :)

Q:  If someone wanted to learn to work in wire, how would you advise them to go about it?
 
A:  Immediately go searching on the internet for basic information.  After that, I suggest just grabbing craft wire and playing with it.  I don't like starting with the "basic projects" so to speak.  I rather find something I like and then try to make it.  That way I will be inspired to figure it out rather than making something I know I'd never really wear.  Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, LOL :)  But seriously, playing with wire and getting the feel for it first was easiest for me.
 



Q:  Other than wire work, what are some of your other hobbies or favorite activities?

A:  I like to read and write.  I write everything from essays to poetry and sketches.  I adore sci-fi movies and shows.  I like to paint and do pastels (although they are NOT my artistic strong points :) ).  I also enjoy salsa dancing!
Q:  Tell us a little about yourself...your family, children, pets, interesting facts, etc.

A:  Umm, interesting facts? I am involved in a relationship. He is absolutely sweet and adorable- my balance and sweetheart!   I have a cat, she's hilarious!
I am from Ohio where I teach as well as sell my jewelry. 
I suppose an interesting bit would be that I HATE doing dishes!  I'd rather clean a bathroom!  EEEWWW :)


Q:  If someone wants to contact you about commissioning a piece or placing an order, how do they go about getting in touch with you?
A:  Feel free to email me at lola_d_menageries@yahoo.com.  You can see my work on my blog jamilola.blogspot.com.  You can order pieces at my store jamilola.etsy.com.



If you have someone you'd like to see featured here, please make your suggestion in the "comments" area.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am honored that you decided to feature my work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gini!
    Great interview with the wonderfully sweet Lola!
    Thanks for sharing! Hugs to both of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, so happy you chose Lola, her work deserves recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! I appreciate all the encouragement! It helps keep me going!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting interview Lola, your work is awesome!!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Lola - you make us all proud!
    Cleo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot! Great interview with an AWESOME, multi talented artist!
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    Silverlox

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know how you like the blog, what I should change, or if you know of an under-appreciated artist I should review (not yourself...no pimping your own work here!).